Friday, August 2, 2013

Cheezy Toasted-Sesame Kale Chips

I use to hate kale. There, I said it. But until about 5 years ago, I didn't even know what it was! If I ate greens, it was usually iceberg and maybe romaine. But then I started hearing about the amazing health benefits of dark leafy greens like spinach and kale. So I gave them a try. Spinach was easy to add into my diet but not kale. I just wasn't into it. But slowly I started adding it to my smoothies and salads. And before long I grew to like it. And then I tried some homemade kale chips at a local health food store. That was it. I was in love. 





These kale chips are crunchy and have an amazing flavor. I try to make a huge batch every 1-2 weeks but they never last long. 

You can dehydrate or bake kale chips in the oven at a low temperature. If you bake them they won't have as crispy of a texture but the flavor is still awesome. 

To make the kale chips you'll need to:

Thoroughly wash your kale and tear into bite size pieces.


Make your marinade or dressing. 


Pour it over the kale and massage it into the leaves, making sure to evenly coat each piece.





Lay each piece flat onto a dehydrator sheet or cookie sheet. They will shrink, so if they overlap it's ok.



Cheezy Toasted-Sesame Kale Chips

You'll need…

2 bunches of organic curly leaf kale
2 cloves of garlic
1 small white onion
2 Tbsp coconut nectar 
6 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
6 Tbsp tamari, coconut aminos or organic soy sauce
1 red bell pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 c raw, soaked cashews
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper




Let's get started!

Blend all ingredients, except kale, until smooth. Massage the dressing onto the kale, making sure to evenly coat each piece. Lay each piece flat on a dehydrator sheet or baking sheet. Dehydrate at 115 for 8-10 hours or bake at 300* for 15-25 minutes, until edges are brown not burnt. Store in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment