Sunday, July 14, 2013

Dehydrating Dill



Fresh dill just popped up at the Farmer's Market, so I bought some to use with my ranch dressing recipe. I had quite a lot left so I dehydrated it before it became saggy or mushy. 

Dehydrating is super easy, and drying herbs doesn't take much time at all. I have an Excalibur, which I absolutely adore, but I've heard great things about Nesco's, too. 

Herbs should be dried at around 100*, if the temperature is higher, the vitamins in the leaves break down and a loss of essential oils may occur.

To dry dill, you just need to break off the stems, lightly rinse in cold water, and then lay on a towel to dry. You can blot lightly, as well. Then you place the dill on your dehydrator mat, making sure to give each piece it's space. Set your dehydrator to 100* and let dry for 1-3 hours, depending on the humidity of where you live and what season you're drying in. Check the dill every once in awhile. When it feels light and dry, it's ready. Carefully remove from the mat and store in a glass jar or small container. 

You can do the same process with almost every other dry-able herb. But depending on the herb, it could take up to 6 hours to dry. And remember, dried herbs are 3-4 times stronger than fresh herbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment