Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers





I found some beautiful poblano peppers at my local co-op and couldn't just chop them up as a flavoring for a another dish. I wanted this dish to be a bit more colorful so I grabbed some red bells to add to the mix, but any color would work. You could use any rice or bean in this, and add more spices if you want. My kids loved the stuffing for this, it would be perfect to stuff a squash with, too.



(before they went in the oven)

Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers

You'll need...

2 poblano peppers and 2 whole red bell peppers, cut in half, seeded and boiled in salt water for 3-4 minutes
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp coconut oil or evoo
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 c water
2 cups cooked beans (I used Great Northern and Black)
2 cups cooked wild rice

Let's get started!

Preheat your oven to 350. Prepare your peppers and lay them in a casserole dish. Saute chopped veggies and spices. Add the beans and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the rice to your bean mixture. Scoop mixture into pepper halves. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges of the peppers start to brown. I served mine with guacamole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment